Antique Phono Supply Sources
Playing Old Records
The following is information about equipment designed to play 78s and old LPs at the correct speed, with the correct stylus size and shape, and with the proper playback equalization. For further information, write to the companies listed below. Availability and prices subject to change. To see an equalization chart for old LPs and 78s, click here. If you have any information and(or) updates regarding vendors on this list, or ones that should be, let me know!
Proprietor: Jeff Duboff
Archive Turntable Series
All are customized Technics direct-drive turntables; I am told Diapason does not use Technics' top of the line equipment. All provide continuously variable speed from 16 to 120 rpm, with fixed settings at 33 and 45. All include premounted SME-type tone arm, cartridge shell, base, separate digital speed readout device; Models 12 & 14 come with acrylic dust cover, Model 12 with soft dust cover and Lane Audio "geometry kit."
Model 12 (for playing up to 12" disks) US $945
Model 14 (for playing up to 14" disks) US $1050
Model 20 (for playing up to 16" disks) US $1500
Headshell Set US $30
Shure V15V-MR cartridge with LP stylus US $290
Shure VH578E 78 rpm stylus for V15V-MR US $110
Lane Audio Geometry Kit US $12
Digital Speed Readout US $175
Additional Sensor Kit for Speed Readout US $50
Turntables are built to order, with delivery quoted at time of order. Typical delivery time is 4-6 weeks. Turntables require a US $500 deposit at time of order, with the balance due before delivery. Massachussetts residents add sales tax.
5 Catamount Rd.
Tewksbury, MA 01878
Tone arm included, cartridge not included unless otherwise noted. Information taken from Stereo Review's Stereo Buyers' Guide 1993 and subject to change. For further information contact the manufacturer at the provided address.
- Dual Golden-1 Semiautomatic Turntable - US $1195
- 33, 45, 78 rpm. Floating chassis, vibration-damped aluminum platter with anti-resonance mat; quartz-controlled motor with microprocessor-controlled speed; viscous-damped cuing control. Gyroscopic gimbal tonearm with detachable headshell, low-mass tracking, high-precision torsion spring, optimization for MC systems. (Cartridge?) Wooden case.
- Dual CS-750S Semiautomatic Turntable - US $750
- 33, 45, 78 rpm. Belt drive, microprocessor-controlled quartz drive mechanism, aluminum tonearm. (Cartridge?)
19 West 44th St.
New York, NY 10036
- Esoteric Sound Osiris Semiautomatic Turntable - US $1225
- 3, 45, 71.29, 76.59, 78, and 80 rpm +/- 7%. Belt drive, brushless DC-servo motor, sapphire platter thrust bearing, 3-point mounting. Static-balanced tonearm. (Cartridge?) 20.25x16.5x7.5"
- Esoteric Sound V-3 Manual Turntable - US $475
- 33, 45, 71.29, 76.59, 78, and 80 rpm +/- 8%. Direct drive, brushless DC motor, solenoid platter brake, XLR lamp outlet. Tone arm, min. tracking force 1.25 grams, cue lever. (Cartridge?) 17.75x13.75x6"
- Esoteric Sound V-2 Manual Turntable - US $375
- 33, 45, 71.29, 76.59, 78, and 80 rpm +/- 10%. Direct drive, brushless DC motor, solenoid platter brake, XLR lamp outlet. Tone arm, min. tracking force 1.5 grams, cue lever. (Cartridge?) 16.5x13.75x4.5"
- Esoteric Sound Isis - US $420
- Like the V-2 but with continuously variable speed control 60-130 rpm, vertical/lateral switch. (Cartridge?)
- Esoteric Sound Vintage Semiautomatic Turntable - US $265
- 33, 45, 71.29, 76.59, 78, and 80 rpm +/- 8%. Belt drive, DC motor; P-mount cartridge. 17x13.75x3.75"
- Esoteric Sound RA-6 Semiautomatic Turntable - US $200
- 33, 45, 71.29, 76.59, 78, and 80 rpm +/- 7%. Belt drive, DC motor; cue lever, auto return; phono cartridge, min. tracking force 2 grams, stylus for LP and 78.
- Esoteric Sound
4813 Wallbank Ave.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
- Thorens TD520 Semiautomatic Turntable - US $1450
- 33, 45, 78 rpm +/- 6%. Belt drive, electronic speed selection, stroboscope, auto=shutoff, twin solid-core chassis, 3-point suspension; frictionless magnetic anti-skating tonearm.
- Thorens TD521 Semiautomatic Turntable - US $1100
- The TD520 without tonearm.
- Thorens TD180 Semiautomatic Turntable - US $400
- 33, 45, 78 rpm. Belt drive, synchronous motor, auto shutoff; TP-20 tonearm, Stanton 500 cartridge.
84-03 Cuthbert Rd.
Kew Gardens, NY 11415
- VPI TNT Series 2 Turntable - US $3500
- Continuously variable speed. Belt drive; tonearm, fixed cartridge mount.21x19x8"
77 Cliffwood Ave., #3B
Cliffwood, NJ 07721
Proprietor: Tom Owen
- Owl 1 Restoration Module - US $330
- The Owl is inserted between the phono cartridge (or tape recorder) and the auxiliary input of a normal preamplifier, amplifier, or receiver. It provides preset equalization curves for 78 rpm and pre-1955 LP recordings; high and low frequency filters; selection of lateral-cut monaural grooves, left or right groove walls, and vertical-cut grooves; and the ability to bypass the filters or the entire Owl 1 circuitry (for post-1955 LPs).
- Owl Multifilter - US $225
- A system of precisely tunable active notch static (i.e. not dynamic) filters for removing unwanted frequencies or noise from program material. The user sets each filter to a frequency of his/her choice and switches it in or out. Can be used as stand-alone equipment or with the Owl 1.
- Owl Cylinder Reproducer Kit - US $330
- Includes a Stanton 500AL cartridge in a spring-loaded mounting modeled on theEdiwon "O" reproducer, ontinuously adjustable for various diameters of cylinders; wired for hookup to the Owl 1 Restoration Module. Intended for use with an original Edison phonograph (not included). Comes with 3 styli: 3.7 mil sapphire (for 2-minute brown wax), 4.2 mil sapphire (4-minute black wax), 3.7 mil diamond (Blue Amberol); also LP stylus included with the cartridge by Stanton.
- Owl 78 Cartridge Kit - US $178
- Includes a Stanton 500AL magnetic cartridge with a standard LP stylus plus 2.5 mil and 3.3 mil truncated elliptical styli for optimum playback of most lateral-cut 78 rpm records.
- Additional custom-ground styli - US $66 each
Elliptical (in mils)
2.0 x 6 Late 16" transcription discs
2.0 x 7 Late 16" transcription discs
2.4 x 8 Narrow-groove 78s such as some Polydors; worn discs
2.8 x 9 Alternate "standard" size
3.5 x 1.2 Alternate "standard" size
3.8 x 1.2 Alternate "standard" size
4.0 x 1.2 Large size for very early acoustic discs
4.75 x 1.5 Large size for very early acoustic discs
5.0 x 2.0 For certain aluminum and acetate "instantaneous" discs
Spherical (in mils)
3.7 Edison Diamond Discs
8.0 Etched-label Pathes up to 14"
16.0 Etched-label Pathes 14" and more
Prices do not include shipping and handling, which is UPS surface unless requested otherwise.
- Owl Audio Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 3122
Linden, NJ 07035
Proprietor: Richard C. Burns
- Packburn Audio Noise Suppressor (Model 323A) US $2650
- A modified PSI preamplifier containing three processors for reduction (dynamic filtering) of steady-state noise and "de-clicking" of transient noises, plus special features for optimum reproduction of old records, lateral and vertical. Widely used in the record industry. Lacks a linear (i.e. "flat") equalization setting for playing acoustic 78s.
- Packburn Electronics Inc.
P.O. Box 335
Dewitt, NY 13214-0335
Wyatt's Musical Americana
Proprietors: Dwayne and Donna Wyatt
For needles, supplies, parts, absolutely top notch service, free telephone advice, reprints, books, reproduction horns, and phonographs - for all makes and models but especially Edison and Victor.
"The Wyatts are very knowledgeable, absolutely honest, with a very large stock of parts on hand, and turnaround time on most jobs is lightning fast. Their catalog is the best I've seen in the hobby, copiously illustrated and well organized. Open Monday through Thursday." - Peter Fraser (email@example.com)
- Clear Lake, CA
- 707-263-5013: Phone
- 707-263-8823: Fax
BAGS Unlimited, Inc.
Collection Protection: An appropriate storage system is essential to the longevity of your valued collectibles. Their new catalog is conveniently categorized into 7 Collection Centers. Whether you collect CDs, LPs, 45s, 78s or need general purpose bags, you will find a center dedicated to your needs.
Five Reasons to shop at BAGS Unlimited:
- Bags Unlimited, Inc.
- 7 Canal Street
- Rochester, NY 14608
- 800-767-BAGS: Toll Free
- 716-436-9006: Voice
- 716-328-8526: Fax
BAGS Unlimited Poly Bags & Corrugated Boxes are made from 100% Recyclable Material.
- FREE Catalogs for friends and family!
- Bag Samples available upon request. First sample FREE!
- Special Bag Sizes can be manufactured to Order with Minimums as few as 1000 pieces. please call for quote!
- In-House Printing on poly bags. Orders processed in 7 to 10 business days!
- Buyers Bonus Bucks!
From Page 5 of Catalog No. 27 - Audio Center: 10"lp & 78rpm
Sleeve: 10"lp & 78rpm Polyethylene Sleeves. 3 Mil - No Flap.
10 1/4 x 10 1/4 10 5/8 x 10 5/8
100 US $7.50 US $8.30
200 US $13.10 US $15.50
500 US $28.40 US $31.00
1000 US $50.90 US $53.35
Product Code S783 Product Code SLP10
Fits over 10" Gold or White Paper Sleeves
Sleeve: 10"lp & 78rpm Paper Sleeves
50 US $10.60 US $11.65
100 US $15.70 US $17.10
500* US $65.70 US $71.55
1000 US $120.65 US $131.40
2000 US $204.50 US $222.70
4000 US $388.60 US $423.20
Product Code S10G Product Code S10W
Fits in 10" JacketFits in 10" Jacket. 28 lb. Kraft Paper32 lb. White Paper
Jacket: 10"lp & 78rpm Jacket. High Gloss White Cardboard, 10 1/4 x 10 1/4
5 US $6.40
10 US $9.55
35 US $26.00
75* US $52.50
150 US $95.50
225 US $104.60+Frt
Product Code S10J
When Ordering, Specify With or Without Center Hole
Box: 10"lp & 78rpm Storage Box. 10 1/2 x 10 3/4 x 13
2 US $11.45
5 US $22.50
10 US $37.50
25 US $76.95
50 US $139.80
100 US $217.05+Frt
200 US $400.70+Frt
Product Code X7865
Store 50 - 65 records. Attractive, White, 275 lb Test Corrugated Storage Container. Easy to assemble, needs no tape or glue. Stackable.
Mailer: 10"lp & 78rpm Mailer Box. 10 1/2 x 10 1/4 x 1 1/2
10 US $9.70
25 US $15.50
50 US $26.60
100 US $47.75
500 US $226.80
Product Code M7810
Holds 8 to 10 records. Made from sturdy 200 lb Test Corrugated material. Designed for maximum shipping protection. Tape, Stamp and Ship!
Filler: 10"lp & 78rpm Mailer Filler Pads. 10 1/8 x 10 1/8
50 US $11.65
100 US $17.00
250 US $31.40
500 US $50.95
Product Code F78
Use our corrugated filler pads to eliminate unneccessary inner package movement while absorbing handling shock.
Acoustic Phonographs & 78s
Information, Care & Repair
Ron Haring - "The Victrola Man"
Buy - Sell - Repair - Parts - Wind-up Phonographs
- 731 Dexter Avenue
Romeoville, IL 60441
Roger Merenkov - Old Wind-up Phonographs
Specializing in restorative services
Wed 10-3 - Thurs 2-8 - Sat. 10-3 (call for appointment)
- Showroom, gallery, sales:
7703 W. Joliet Road
Lyons, IL 60534
- The Vestal Press
- P.O. Box 97
Vestal, NY 13851-0097
Subscription US $8.00 per year (plus US $.40 tax in Vermont!!!)
- Newsletter: The New Amberola Graphic
- 37 Caledonia St.
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
Editor: Martin Bryan
Gilbert's Pocket Guide to Antique Musical Machine Values
A little 26-page pamphlet, designed to be carried around on one's search expeditions for old phonographs, music boxes, player pianos, and the like. It's a computerized compilation of recent advertisement and auction prices culled from various sources within the hobby, and is pretty complete, useful and accurate. US $5.00 postpaid.
- G. F. Pasley
- 8828 Pershing Drive, #142
- Playa del Rey, CA 90293
Available from Antique Phono Shop or Ron Haring
- "Look for the Dog"
- Robert Baumbach
"The Compleat Phonograph"
Also available from Antique Phono Shop
Edison Cylindars & Disks
Standard Texts for the Edison collector
Edison Cylindar Records, 1889-1912
- From Tinfoil To Stereo
Read & Welch
Allen Koenigsberg; (author and publisher)
502 E. 17th St.
Brooklyn NY 11226
The "bible" for Edison records through 1912 (cylinders were made until the crash of 1929). Copies of the 2nd edition may still be available at about US $50.
The Antique Phonograph Monthly
(de rigeur among serious collectors)
Subscriptions - US $14 for 10 issues
- Allen Koenigsberg
- 502 E. 17th St.
Brooklyn NY 11226
Information provided by: David Giovannoni firstname.lastname@example.org
Edisonia Reprints and Books
Ron Dethlefson of Bakersfield, California is a reknowned expert on things Edison in general and Blue Amberols and Diamond Discs specifically. He's spent the past 40 years collecting records, phonographs and literature, doing research, and is author of books on these and related topics. He is always happy to talk about these things on the phone - he's a wellspring of knowledge, and you can reach him at 805-872-1530 (number given with permission).
Ron has several items available for people who wish to augment their collections of Edisonia or just begin learning about these fascinating records and machines.
His earlier books are out of print, but one is still available: "Edison Disc Artists and Records - A Compilation" It tells the story from the earliest experimental discs to the final needle-cut (lateral) 78's, 1910-1929. It's a great overview of American popular music of the period, plus it's full of fascinating but obscure facts, rare photographs, internal Edison memoranda, etc. 104 pages with special end papers. US $11.95 postpaid (add 10% for overseas delivery).
Ron also has some very high quality reprints of original Edison documents available. They were duplicated from excellent-condition originals from the Edison National Historic Site:
All reprint prices include first class US postage; add 10% for overseas shipping. To order, contact:
- 1913 Preliminary Disc List - 16 pages
Catalog of the earliest Diamond Discs plus historical notes. US $2.95
- 1927 LP Conversion Kit Instructions - 24 pages, 8 illustrations:
yes, Edison briefly marketed a 40-minute long play record, and here's the instructions on how to convert a standard Diamond Disc machine to play them, plus historical notes. US $4.95
- 1917 Diamond Disc Re-Creation Supplement - 12 pages:
Catalogs 140 records from during the Great War. US $1.95
- Edison Blue Amberol Recordings - 40+ pages in B&W and color:
Bound pages from Ron's now out of print 1982 book of the same title, with reprints of record catalog materials and other goodies from the 1910's and 1920's. Few copies remain. US $8.95
- 1920 Edison Disc Motor Repair Manual - 16 pages, 7 illustrations:
Even if you don't have a Diamond Disc machine, you need this book. How to make it run the way the factory intended. Includes the 1923 update. US $3.95
- 1928 Edison C-2 Electric Phonograph Instruction Book - 8 pages, 4 illustrations:
Operating instructions for Edison's rare first all-electric phonograph, plus historical notes. US $2.95
- Ron Dethlefson
- 3605 Christmas Tree Lane
- Bakersfield, CA 93306
Re-Recordings & Reissues
Recordings of Cal Stewart's "Uncle Josh" series are available from the "Radio Yesteryear Co." which has released "Uncle Josh and Cornball Country Comedians" as its "Stack of 78s" No. 16. This is an hour of "Uncle Josh" culled from records and cylinders and transferred to cassette tape. Reasonably priced at US $6.00 each, or buy 4 or more at US $4.75.
Courtesy Jim Stephenson, James_E_STEPHENSON@umail.umd.edu
- Radio Yesteryear Co.
Sandy Hook Ct, 06482
(800)243-0987: Toll Free
Jan Scobey's Hot Jazz
A Collector's Showcase: Jan's annual catalog and periodic mailings are but a footnote to this amazing woman. Former wife of the legendary Bob Scobey, Jan was a musician in her own right, with her early sixties band, "Jan Scobey and her Dixie Cats." Now days, she is a regular fixture at West Coast Trad Jazz festivals, spreading the gospel of Dixieland. Her catalog, is a quarter-inch thick work containing most of the traditional Jazz, Dixieland, Big Band and Ragtime titles in the known universe, original and revival, (the order form listing alone is seven pages!) CDs, Cassettes, and some LPs are available. A fine selection of Jazz videos and books are also stocked in this cornacopia of trad. It also includes a Trad Jazz Festival Calandar and many interesting stories about past jazz revivals and historical luminaries. US $7.00, refunded with the first order.
"She'll put a wiggle in your walk and a smile on your face."
- Jan Scobey's Hot Jazz
P.O. Box 6
Upper Lake, CA, 95485-0006
(800)8-SCOBEY: Toll Free
Return to the W.A.M.S. Home Page